Small Cell Carcinoma of the Lung

Carcinoma is another medical term for cancer; specifically for cancer that has developed in epithelial cells.   In the case of lung cancer there are two principal types.  Small cell lung cancer (SCLC) accounts for about 15% of all cases.  The other 85% is comprised of non-small cell lung cancer, a catch-all term for lung cancers … Read moreSmall Cell Carcinoma of the Lung

Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

The TNM staging system that is used for most forms of cancer has four classifications, with stage 4 designating the most serious or advanced form of the disease.  Small cell lung cancer which comprises 15% – 20% of all lung cancer cases, has a simplified two-stage system that is usually employed, but can be matched … Read moreStage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Stage 3 Small Cell Lung Cancer

The standard classification protocol for all types of cancer is a sophisticated and complicated analytical tool that requires information on the tumor, the lymph nodes, and any evidence of metastases.  The end result is a four-stage format that provides an analysis of the degree to which the cancer has advanced and the appropriate treatment.  There … Read moreStage 3 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Stage 2 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Small cell lung cancer has been linked to asbestos exposure, an industrial calamity that caused not only lung cancer but thousands of cases of mesothelioma – another lethal malignancy that usually develops in the outer lining of the lung rather than the tissues within the lung.  Both of these forms of cancer are also heavily … Read moreStage 2 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Small Cell vs. Non Small Cell Lung Cancer

– What’s the Difference? There are three major differences between small cell lung cancer and non-small cell lung cancer: The size and shape of the cancer cell The most effective forms of treatment The speed with which the cancer spreads Cell Differences The comparative size and shape of the cells is the most obvious differentiating … Read moreSmall Cell vs. Non Small Cell Lung Cancer

7 Best Treatments for Lung Cancer

Seven most commonly used cancer treatments are surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, photodynamic therapy and laser surgery. 1. Surgery It is important that an early assessment of the patient is done to ascertain if the tumor is operable. Surgery often offers the best chance for a cure especially if the cancer has not … Read more7 Best Treatments for Lung Cancer

What Are the Survival Rates for Lung Cancer?

What determines the cancer survival rate? Some points to bear in mind: The percentage of people who survive lung cancer for a specific time period following their diagnosis indicates the cancer survival rate. The relative survival rate is used to measure the survival of persons living with lung cancer in comparison to the general population … Read moreWhat Are the Survival Rates for Lung Cancer?

10 Lung Cancer Symptoms

Some people endure the early stages of lung cancer without experiencing any noticeable symptoms at all. Many symptoms of lung cancer are also symptoms of other less severe ailments, but especially if you exhibit risk factors for lung cancer, you should still bring these concerns to your doctor. Learn 10 common lung cancer symptoms so … Read more10 Lung Cancer Symptoms

Lung Transplants for Cancer Patients

Sometimes initial responses to lung cancer do not promote recovery fast enough or fully enough. Sometimes cancer is caught in too late of a stage for less invasive measures to be effective. Whatever the reason, lung transplants may be necessary for some. The more informed you are about your disease and treatment options, the more … Read moreLung Transplants for Cancer Patients